Some of you asked about Medium. The specific question was, “Does it pay?”
Of course if you type the above question into Google, you’ll find a million articles that say, “I made $5,000 in one month just writing on Medium!”
That’s great, and I believe them. But I also know that they have pretty decent freelance websites to go along with it, as well as mailing lists, so there’s a lot of cross promotion. They also make Medium their full-time job. I can’t do that now.
What I can tell you, however, is that by writing almost every day for the past month, Monday – Friday, I went from no money, to:
Call the realtor, babe! We got ourselves a down payment for a Costco refrigerator box!
But wait… I did a little better this month
I figure if I continue to write daily, along with the following tips below, I’ll slowly increase the monthly revenue.
Tips for Making Money on Medium Without Making It Your Full Time Job
- Leave 5 comments a day on someone else’s blog. Be sincere. (No one, likes a “Hey, nice” post phoning it in comment.
- Don’t sweat over the article. Just be yourself and hit “Publish.” To keep up the pace you have to crank them out.
- Link to Your Other Articles: If someone is already enjoying the article you’re reading, include at least one link back to another article you’ve written on the site.
- Have it Curator Worthy: This means you need to format the article in a way that Medium will pick up and publish. There are very specific ways to do this. See this link.
- Have Your Work Published on a Platform: There are many platforms on Medium that already have 1000’s of followers. (I have 27.) Most of the whopping $2.29 I made was because I was lucky enough to have 2 platforms pick up my story 3 times. As of today I have yet to be curated by Medium itself.
In closing, like anything in life, getting ahead takes a slow and steady approach. This type of thinking is hard for a go-go-go gal like myself, but I’m also seeing how important it is. If I’m a sub and not a teacher, I don’t get the pay my other friends are getting during this crisis.
If I’m a freelancer and not a full-time writer in an office, I don’t get the salary comfort others are getting.
At the same time, with my looser schedule, if I don’t decide to enjoy my life (even if I make less money) then there is no point in my freedom.
The next month (or 3… sigh) is a wonderful opportunity to trust that God will direct my next steps. I don’t have to figure it out today. I can just write here, write at Medium and do a little journalling to figure out my next freelance gig.
Until next time,
My book is available on Amazon. (Note: It’s a special ed journey… your kid doesn’t need to have Tourettes to relate!) Follow me on Twitter@AndreaFrazerWrites or on Facebook. )
5 thoughts on “My Medium Update”
I hadn’t heard of Medium. At first I thought you meant you were a medium. Lol. Thank you for the information and tips! 😊☺️😊
Your writing is worth waaaayyy more than a Costco frig box! You make me giggle. Love your style and your words are rich 💰👏🏻. I have the Medium app downloaded ~started with a bang, then aborted. I’m still trying to find my writing “legs” a and navigating the whole time issue. Thank you for sharing!
Ah, thanks for reading. Will check your stuff out again!
Aww. How kind!